Tips For Fast and Effective Mildew Removal
Mold and mildew are types of fungi that grow in warm and moist areas. Mildew is usually white or gray in color while mold is usually red, blue, green or black in color. Because they can both be found on things inside the house, mold and mildew removal is one of the problems which many homeowners deal with on a regular basis.
Of course the first thing that needs to be done is a complete inspection of your home. Look for any mold that is growing, or any stains that reveal mold has grown in a spot before, even though now it may no longer be growing. Take not of the areas and check back from time to time that a new growth hasn’t started.
If you do find areas with mold, you neeed to understand what the source of moisture was. If it was due to humidity, then ventilation will be needed to be installed. Be sure the original cause wasn’t leaky pipes, or cracks in a basement wall that is allowing, or has allowed at one time any sort of water to leak in.
Here are some tips on how deal with stains caused by mold or mildew on product which are non-porous and are relatively easy to clean.
1. First off, check which things in your home have mold and mildew. Deal with each of them separately. Clean up any dirt or debris that is on the area which has the mold or mildew.
2. For every gallon of water, mix in a cup of bleach. Place this solution inside a spray bottle or even a steam cleaner so that you can easily apply it whenever you need it to help protect your home from coming back.
3. Before spraying, make sure that the area has a lot of ventilation as the scent of the bleach could be overwhelming and harmful. Open windows and doors and turn on an electric fan.
4. You can then spray some of the solution you prepared to the area where there is a growth of mold or mildew. You can also make use of a terry cloth or a scrubbing brush to make removing it a lot easier. Remember to use gloves as you do this.
5. After making sure that the mold or mildew stain has been removed, you can rinse the area thoroughly with clean water and dry it with a terry cloth.
These are very simple steps that you could do for mold mildew removal problems that you encounter. However, there may be some surfaces which may be harder to clean which could require a stronger mold or mildew stain removal solution. There are plenty of products that you can use in the market for this.
Once you have gotten rid of all the mold and mildew stains inside your home, it would then be important to make sure that they would not be coming back. You can prevent mold and mildew growth by ensuring that all the areas in your home are properly ventilated. You can use dehumidifiers so that the environment inside your home would not be damp.
Keep your basements dry through having them waterproofed. Lastly, make sure that your house is clean inside and out. Clean up food particles and spills on the floor and on other surfaces to prevent the growth of mold and mildew.